Friday 12 Sep 2008: Spanish Eloquence
I work all day rewriting day two and day three entries; so much was new those first few days that I just jotted down the day’s events, run on sentence after run on sentence. After today, my plan of attack may have to change; I now have 17 pages of manuscript for the first three days—at this rate this journal will be 2068 pages in length (365 x 5.67). I think maybe I’ll have to be a bit more perspicacious on what I write about each day. In that vein . . .
On my 35th day in country, I reach a milestone. I sit beside the swimming pool under an umbrella at the Costa Del Sol Hotel waiting for Teri to finish an after-school Pearson Longman seminar: “Lines of Communication: Connecting Teachers, Parents and Students in English.” I finish one beer and ask for another. The waiter serves me the second beer and he stands there expectantly, as waiters do when wanting payment, so I say, “¿Diez soles?” He nods and, as I pull a ten from my wallet, he rattles off some Spanish that I don’t catch much of except the word ‘boleta’ so I say, “No, una boleta no es necesario, gracias.” Eureka! I responded spontaneously in Spanish; I didn’t think about what to say for even a fraction of a second; the words, the music, the poetry—no the eloquence, spewed from my lips as if I were goosed by Calliope herself!
The triumph is tarnished somewhat by the waiter returning in about 15 minutes with a boleta. The shine soon returns for me though, as this boleta de venta is another milestone for me; it is the largest I have received by far, almost a full 8.5x11 hand-written sheet of paper with an official stamp and signature at the bottom, all this for two beers, and stapled to it is the coup de gras—a machine receipt—fantastico!
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment